Some how, I wrote nonstop for three weeks on a storyline that meandered about without focus. Don’t get me wrong. There were some bits I liked, and a few characters the really spoke to me. But no plot.
Since then, I’ve been trying to rearrange the scenes, reimagine some of the characters, and recapture my initial vision so that the rewrite might have the structure and momentum necessary to qualify as an actual novel… As opposed to a collection of words.
After gathering my notes and staring at them repeatedly for several days, I think I’ve got it.
By jove I think I’ve got it!
It was the craziest moment of realization. Part of me was shocked I hadn’t seen it before, and the other part wondered where the inspiration had come from. I think the answer to that is relatively simple.
I tweaked the characters all to just the right point of tension, combining some characters, axing others, and transforming the personalities of one or two so that their behavior made more sense. Out of that tension, a cohesive plot was possible in a way that it hadn’t been before.
Tonight, I clean up my outline…. tomorrow I begin the rewrite. Only 2 days behind schedule!